Fri, 28 Jun 2019 10:02 - Updated Fri, 28 Jun 2019 10:02
Trade-union reaffirms defence of members
Luanda - The secretary-general of the Angolan Journalists Trade-union (SJA), Teixeira Cândido, on Thursday in Luanda reaffirmed that the institution continues to pay attention to the defence of its members, having into account the fact that there have been cases of intimidation following a journalistic coverage of media hyped court trials.
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
secretary-general of the Angolan Journalists Trade-union (SJA), Teixeira Cândido
Photo: Nelson Malamba
Teixeira Cândido spoke on the fringes of a visit to the Supreme Court aimed at assessing the conditions provided for journalists covering the National Shippers Council (CNC) trial case, following threats made to them last week by relatives of the defendants in the said lawsuit.
The trial, known as the "CNC Lawsuit", involves former Transport minister Augusto Tomás and four other former officers of the CNC management board, who are responding to accusations of embezzlement of large sums of moneys.
Speaking to the press, the trade-unionist said the SJA will continue to defend its members, since it is for the respect of the profession and the integrity of journalists.
Teixeira Cândido then stressed that if it becomes necessary complaints will be filed to the police.
“I came to check the type of environment in which our colleagues have been working and I can confirm that it is a tense environment”, said the trade unionist after witnessing himself the relative of one of the defenders showing a rude attitude towards journalists.
Teixeira Cândido also spoke with the lawyers of the defendants about the need for them to sensitise their clients’ relatives in regard to the respect, collaboration and understanding that journalists need in the exercise of the profession.
- 24/06/2019 11:03:26
Ndalatando - The governor of Cuanza Norte province, Adriano Mendes de Carvalho, highlighted the "important role" of the internal order forces in maintaining the security of the population, guaranteeing and defending citizens' rights.
- 24/06/2019 09:53:01
Lisbon - An Angolan delegation, headed by the Minister of Youth and Sports, Ana Paula do Sacramento Neto, took part Sunday in Lisbon, at the closing of the 2019 World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth (Lisbon + 21) and Youth Forum.
- 11/06/2019 15:51:02
Ondjiva - The First Lady Ana Dias Lourenço donated Tuesday food items to the people affected by the drought in southern Cunene province.